Half-timbered houses in Wertheim
The Blue House
Colour is often a significant feature of architecture. Located on Rathausgasse, Wertheim, the Blue House of 1593 is a striking example of this and a rarity in Europe. Smalt, a mixture of finely crushed glass and cobalt that was used as a pigment, gives the building its distinctive shade of blue. Manufacturing this material was extremely costly and the paint was therefore valuable. But it seems that the expense was worth it for the owner and a good way of rising above his neighbours and creating a public display of his wealth. The blue colouring was restored in 1999. An elaborate stucco ceiling also graces the interior of the Blue House.