City gates – Accessing the old town

Kittstein Gate

Erected between 1500 and 1620, Kittstein Gate provided access to the city through the reinforcements on the southwest side of Wertheim, next to the river Tauber. The Red Tower (now Kittstein Gate) at Faul Gate belongs to the system of city fortifications that were constructed between the 12th and 17th centuries and that dominate the banks of the river Tauber to this day.

All high water marks since 1595 are carved into the northern side of the Baroque garden house adjacent to Kittstein Gate. The gate leads into Rittergasse and on from there to the former Royal Court, now the Town Hall in the City of Wertheim.