The church acquires an even more stately look thanks to its elevated location.
Catholic parish church of St. Venantius
A protestant abbey church since the Reformation, it was used simultaneously for protestant services and catholic mass for two hundred years from the mid-17th century onward. This changed in 1840 with the start of construction on the catholic parish church of St. Venantius. It is built in the style of Neo-romantic Historicism with Neo-gothic elements and was consecrated in 1842 by the deacon to the Arch Bishop and parish priest of Tauberbischofsheim, Johannes Baptist Binz. The church was constructed by district master builder August Moosbrugger, a student of Heinrich Hübsch.
The high altar was not designed until 1869 by the sculptor Anselm Sickinger, who had also created the high altar for St. Ludwig’s in Munich. However, the Wertheim high altar was removed and largely destroyed during the purification in the 1960s.
The interior of the church is dominated by three suspended domes (‘Bohemian caps’), whose transverse vaulting is carried by polygonal wall supports. The facade of the church from 1869 was largely restored in 1981/83.
The church centre on the Wartberg, which belongs to the parish, was consecrated in 1976.
The most recent renovation and refurbishment of the parish church was in 2015 to 2016. Among other things, this involved reinstallation of the 15 Stations of the Cross, the uncovering of wall mouldings and redesign of the church forecourt.